Monday, April 8, 2013

At the Unconscious Ball

My dreams don't often make me laugh out loud. There i was last night giggling to myself in the dark, stifling it to not wake my husband. That was wee hour sleep brain, but i still find it amusing in the light of day. And just generally fascinating how complex dreams are, and how convoluted they get.

So i was on a spaceship on a mission to an alien star system. We had to fetch a special tool from the human colony there. This was a future with many populated worlds, the planet we were going to was one we'd never seen and knew nothing about. Heavy borrowing so far from my teen science fiction reading - i'd say a mix of Robert Heinlein and Arthur C Clarke. We were greeted by a small group of technicians when we arrived. A visit from off-worlders was a big enough deal to have a little reception with food. We especially liked the cheese and complimented it. Our hosts responded, 'well, better dance on its lungs, then'. What? At that point we had to stifle giggling as we realized these people had a culture so different as to be soundly weird to us, but that we really shouldn't offend them. And things are always so much funnier when you have to try  not to laugh, of course. They said a couple more alien weird things i don't remember, which only made it worse.

Shortly after that i woke up. So now i was realizing this joke was manufactured by my unconscious for its own inscrutable purposes. A joke on me, by me. Now i had three layers of funny going on. The glory of an untameable inner mind methodically pulling the strings of my little ego always intrigues me, and its nice when it does so without subjecting me to fear, anger, embarrassment, or any of the other unpleasant options that regularly feature in memorable dreams. Alien cheese. That's pretty amusing just right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment